A. The aircraft is fairly empty and passengers ___________________ around the jumbo jet, the bomber chooses seat 26 K located directly over the fuel tank, but it was another version of an aircraft.
· are scattered
· like clock-work
· makes an early start
· plenty of
B. ___________________ the flight the autopilot remains on to keep constant heading and altitude. But when the bomb explodes the autopilot appears to be a victim of the ________________.
C. A flight attendant reports to the captain, the man sitting in 26 K dies due to blast, and there are some _________________ among passengers. The captain decided to land at Naha airport and asks his co-pilot to make a MayDay call.
D. He arrives in _______________time for his flight with Philippine Airlines. He designed the _______________of his bomb to pass ______________ by X-ray and metal detection equipment.
E. He wants to put his latest invention through a test, everything must go __________________. He is a highly skilled terrorist __________________. He packs a liquid explosive bomb very carefully in a bottle of __________________ solution for contact lenses.
F. Most ___________________ of the city of 1million and a half have a few more hours to sleep, but one person ____________________________.
G. Then the bomber finds a vacant _________________ to_______________the explosive device. He sets a timer to explode in 4 hours long after he leaves the plane. He hides the bomb in a life jacket under his seat and changes the seat.
H. This is a story of how investigators make a shocking ____________________, that the explosion on powerful 34 is only a test.
I. With a minimum control over the aircraft the captain faces the most challenging landing in his carrier.
J. When the aircraft first lands the bomber leaves the plane and new passengers get on the board. Airport ___________________ delays new departure, but the bomb timer continues to tick.
14. Try to arrange the cards into correct order. Then watch a video and check your answers.
VIDEO # 18
18. Answer the following questions:
1. What tactics did the bomber use and did he achieve his purposes?
2. Who is to be blamed for this accident?
3. What measures can be taken to avoid such situations?
4. What could you say about the controller’s actions at Naha airport?
VIDEO # 19
¸ Watch a video and guess what we are going to discuss now.
1. What can make an Air Traffic Controller suspect a case of hijacking?
2. An Air Traffic Controller has to be able to respond appropriately according to the circumstances in case of hijacking. Choose the appropriate actions.
✈ Always stop communication with the other traffic.
✈ Comply with pilot’s requests as far as possible.
✈ Confirm any necessary information (destination aerodrome, routing).
✈ Do not inform any adjacent areas.
✈ Do not initiate any further RTF referring to the hijacking unless confirmed by the pilot.
✈ Inform a supervisor.
✈ Keep silent in any case.
✈ Monitor all flight maneuvers – give room for maneuvers.
✈ Transmit appropriate information without expecting a reply.
✈ Try to negotiate with hijackers.
✈ Use only standard phraseology.
3. Put the following phrases into the right column. Justify your opinion. Add your own suggestions.