h) to choose something or someone as an object of attack
i) people in general, a community of people
j) the action of destroying something
11. to target
k) the use of physical force to hurt or kill somebody
12. to achieve
l) to create or invent
13. to define
m) to describe correctly
14. to devise
n) to discuss something in order to come to an agreement
15. to fortify
o) to feel pain, discomfort or sorrow
16. to keep off
p) to get a good result
17. to negotiate
q) to offer, suggest or to put forward for consideration
18. to prevent
r) to oppose or stop; to keep from happening
19. to propose
s) to stop someone from taking something
20. to suffer
t) to strengthen a place against attack
target / goal / a ransom / negotiate / publicity / is suffering / harmful / victims / keep off
Fill in the gaps using the words from the box.
1. The kidnappers demanded ___________________ of 500 000$ from his family.
2. He ______________________ from loss of memory.
3. All the passengers became the innocent _______________________ of a terrorists’ attack.
4. The government refuses to ____________________ with terrorists.
5. How do airport services manage to _____________ birds ___________the field?
6. His ___________________ was to set up his own business.
7. International terrorism has received much _____________________ over the last few years.
8. Two aircraft were used to ____________________ World Trade Center towers.
9. The terrorists often use chemicals that are ___________________ to environment and people’s health.
Complete each sentence with the correct form of the word in capitals. Make all necessary changes.
1. Terrorists use weapons of mass _______________to kill a lot of people.
2. A suicide bomber used a hand-made explosive ___________ to hijack the plane.
3. He ___________________ himself against the cold with a large glass of brandy.
4. She had received many _______________ of marriage but preferred to remain single.
5. While traveling abroad, take _______________ measures to avoid illness.
6. The hotel is not responsible for any guests’ personal _________________.
7. New technology has a great effect on modern ___________________.
8. There is too much sex and ___________________ on TV these days.
5. Play domino.
Listening and Speaking Bank.
Unit 4A. Exercise 5. Domino collocations.