6. Look at the numbers in the table and choose which of them refer to the following items: FL / RW / visibility / endurance / frequency / pilot’s minima /
7. Listen to the communication between an area controller and a pilot and check your answers.
8. Answer the questions:
In case of any difficulties listen to the communication again.
9. Listen to the communication between an approach controller and the same pilot and say about:
1. What was ATIS information?
2. What RW did the controller advise the pilot for landing?
3. What RW did the pilot request?
4. What were their alternates?
5. At what point were they cleared to hold?
6. What FL did the pilot ask for holding?
7. How was the visibility developing?
Q Pilot’s intentions
Q The crew request to descend in the holding pattern
Q Traffic situation
10. Listen to the pilot - controller communications and make a report on each one.
11. Match the words in column A to their definitions in column B.
a) a hard fight or a great effort
2. an alert
b) a warning to be ready for danger
d) very strong and severe
5. a struggle
e)the most recent information
6. to escape
f) to get free; to get away from a place or a dangerous situation
7. to hammer
g) showing sudden unexpected changes / changing a lot so it is impossible to know what will happen
h) to hit severely and repeatedly
12. Match the words in A to the words in B to make collocations:
a) of an explosion
7. to run off
13. Look through the statements. Then watch a video and choose the correct item in each sentence:
VIDEO # 26
1.A regular flight from Paris to Toronto takes 8 hours / 8 hours and a half.
2. An autopilot / a co-pilot does most of the work for the captain.
3.Overcast and rainy, with the chance of thunderstorm, temperature is below / in the low 20˚C.
4.The lightning has already forced the airport authorities to declare a Great / Red Alert.
5.The crew entered the holding pattern north-east / east-north of Toronto.
6.The aircraft had 7500 kg of fuel in its tanks, more than / it wasn’t enough to get to the alternate.
7.After a short hold Air France 358 with 297 / 289 passengers on board began descent into the storm.
8.Ahead of Air France two aircraft / airbuses have touched down on the same RW that flight 358 was heading for.
9.Facing unpredictable winds and a wet / bad RW the crew prepared for the landing.
10.Emergency workers were able to reach / search the burning jet just 52 seconds after the crash.
11.Remarkably, every single passenger and not all / all the members of the crew have managed to escape the burning plane.
14. Answer the following questions using the information from the video you’ve watched and your own experience:
1. What were the consequences of this aviation event?
2. Why did such an aviation event take place?
3. Was there any chance to prevent the aviation event with flight 358?
4. Who is to blame for this event in your opinion?