Look through the words in the box, find them in the text and try to guess their meaning
Match the words in column A to their definitions in column B.
|| a) chemicals
| to contaminate
|| b) to make a place or substance dirty and dangerous by adding something to it
|| c) causing damage
|| d) substance which is added to something to improve it
|| f) to make something known which was previously hidden
| to reveal
|| g) certain requirements
Have you ever heard about aviation event involving fuel problem?
Look through the list of technical problems (Ex. 5 page 114) and check if all problems are mentioned. Then say what your actions might be in case of each technical problem on board the plane.
Match the words and phrases in column A to their definitions in column B.
| 1. baggage handler
|| a) to try extremely hard to achieve smth, though it is very difficult
| 2. to lock
|| b) to see smth happen
| 3. to set to do smth
|| c) to find out
| 4. to gain altitude
|| d) person who loads baggage
| 5. huge
|| e) to start doing smth
| 6. to shatter
|| f) extremely bad, frightening
| 7. to bank
|| g) emergency
| 8. to be behind schedule
|| h) to fasten something, usually with a key
| 9. to struggle
|| i) event
| 10. to pitch
|| j) to break suddenly into pieces
| 11. to pick up speed
|| k) to go faster
| 12. to witness
|| l) to get somewhere in time
| 13. horrifying
|| m) to stop going up and down and continue at the same height
| 14. to disappear
|| n) to move up and down in an uncontrolled way with the movement of the air
| 15. hole
|| o) to reach height
| 16. to level out/off
|| p) not to be ready to depart at the planned time
| 17. crisis
|| q) to become impossible to find
| 18. crippled
|| r) extremely large in size
| 19. scene
|| s) damaged, disabled
| 20. to discover
|| t) empty space
| 21. to make it to
|| u) to slope to one side when turning
| 7. Fill in the gaps with suitable phrases from the box given below.
| struggles to save / shattered / a huge hole / to level out / a horrifying scene / a little behind schedule / the crippled jet / picking up speed / makes it / to gain altitude /
Look through possible reasons for aviation events listed below.
Watch a video and suppose which one might have caused crash of Turkish Airways Flight 981. Justify your opinion.
VIDEO # 36
| 1. Passengers at the back of the plane witness _________________: two rows of the seats have simply disappeared.
2. The crew managed to save _______________________.
3. The passengers are waiting for the flight which is _________________________.
4. Even without its basic controls the plane begins __________________.
5. As soon as the plane departs the airport it starts _________________________.
6. Through _____________________ in the floor they can see the sky over France.
7. The flight from Paris to London never even ___________________ to the English Channel.
8. Just 16 seconds after the start of the crisis the crew ___________________________ the plane.
9. The huge plane ________________ and banks to the left.
10. The plane starts _____________________________.