Упражнение 1. Поставьте следующие существительные во множественное число (обратите внимание на артикли: неопределенный артикль во множественном числе опускается, определенный артикль сохраняется).
A star, a mountain, a tree, a shilling, a king, the waiter, the queen, a man, the man, a woman, the woman, an eye, a shelf, a box, the city, a boy, a goose, the watch, a mouse, a dress, a toy, the sheep, a tooth, a child, the ox, a deer, the life, a tomato.
Упражнение 2. Поставьте следующие словосочетания во множественное число.
This tea-cup, this egg, that wall, that picture, this foot, that mountain, this lady, that window, this man, that match, this knife.
Упражнение 3. Переведите на английский язык, употребляя притяжательный падеж.
1. Он показал мне письмо своей сестры. 2. Она взяла коньки своего брата. 3. Дайте мне тетради ваших учеников. 4. Принесите вещи детей 5. Вчера дети нашли птичье гнездо. 6. Это семья моего друга. Отец моего друга инженер. Мать моего друга преподаватель. 7. Чья это сумка? -Это сумка Тома. 8. Чьи это словари? - - Это словари студентов. 9. Вы видели книгу нашего учителя? 10. Мне нравится почерк этого мальчика. 11. Я слышу голос моей сестры. 12. Она открыла окно и услышала смех и крики детей. 13. Она поставила мокрые сапоги мальчиков к печке. 14. Это бабушкино кресло.
Упражнение 4. Вставьте артикль, где необходимо.
Robert Burns, ... son of ... small farmer in Ayrshire, was born on ... 25th of ... January, 1759. His parents were poor, so that Burns could not get a good education. He worked hard as ... plough boy. He was fond of reading and always had ... ballad-book before him at ... dinner. After ... death of his father Robert and his brother and sisters took over ... farm together. Working in ... fields Burns wrote many wonderful songs. However, things became so bad on ... farm, that ... poet decided to go to ... Jamaica hoping to get ... job on ... plantation there. Luckily some friends helped Burns to publish ... book of poems. ... book was noticed and praised highly. In 1786 Burns went to ... Edinburgh, and his book of poems unlocked ... doors of ... rich Edinburgh houses to a peasant with such a wonderful talent. In 1788 he married Jean Armour and spent... peaceful and happy year. ... rest of his life-story is ... tale of ... poet's hardships. ... hard life ruined ... poet's health, and on ... 21st of ... July, 1796 he died at ... age of thirty-seven.
Упражнение 5. Вставьте as ... as, so ... as или than.
1. Our house is not ... big ... yours. 2. The new cinema in our district is much bigger ... the old one. 3. We are ... proud of our district ... you are of yours. 4. The house I live in is ... old ... the one my sister lives in. 5. Exercise No.2 is easier ... Exercise No.3. 6. Nevsky Prospect is more beautiful ... our street. 7. My composition is not ... long ... yours.
Упражнение 6. Раскройте скобки, употребляя требующуюся форму прилагательного.
1. This man is (tall) than that one. 2. Asia is (large) than Australia. 3. The Volga is (short) than the Mississippi. 4. Which building is the (high) in Moscow? 5. Mary is a (good) student than Lucy.
6, The Alps are (high) than the Urals. 7. This garden is the (beautiful) in our town. 8. She speaks Italian (good) than English. 9. Is the word "newspaper" (long) than the word "book"? 10. The Thames is (short) than the Volga. 11. The Arctic Ocean is (cold) than the Indian Ocean. 12. Chinese is (difficult) than English. 13. Spanish is (easy) than German. 14. She is not so (busy) as I am. 15. It is as (cold) today as it was yesterday. 16. She is not so (fond) of sports as my brother is. 17. Today the weather is (cold) than it was yesterday. 18. This book is (interesting) of all I have read this year. 19. January is the (cold) month of the year. 20. My sister speaks English (bad) than I do. 21. Which is the (hot) month of the year? 22. Which is the (beautiful) place in this part of the country? 23. This nice-looking girl is the (good) student in our group.
Упражнение 7. Раскройте скобки, употребляя требующуюся форму прилагательного.
1. Oil is (light) than water. 2. We shall wait for a (dry) day to go on the excursion. 3. A bus is (fast) than a tram. 4. Take some of these sweets: they are very (nice). They are (nice) than the sweets in that box. 5. He clearly did not like the explanation, and as he listened to it, he became (angry) and (angry). 6. He worked (hard) and (hard) as the end of the term came nearer. 7. The (tall) trees in the world grow in California. 8. Please be (careful) next time and don't spill the milk again. 9. Bobby was a (quiet) child. He was (quiet) than his sister. 10. Her eyes are (grey) than mine. 11. He was the (fat) man in the village. 12. As he went on, the box became (heavy) and (heavy). 13. My sister is the (tall) girl in her class. 14. Who is the (attentive) student in your group? 15. It is autumn. Every day the air becomes (cold), the leaves (yellow). 16. This is the (beautiful) view I have ever seen in my life. 17. Your handwriting is now (good) than it was last year; but still it is not so (good) as Nick's handwrit ing. Nick has a (good) handwriting than you. And of course Nellie has the (good) handwriting of all.
Активный залог. Глаголы.
Упражнение 8. Раскройте скобки, употребляя глаголы в требующемся времени.
1. When we (to come) to the station, our train already (to leave), and we (to have) to wait for two hours before another one (to come). 2. I was anxious to see the place where I (to spend) my childhood. 3. Victor asked me to explain the new rule to him, as he (to miss) the previous lesson. 4. John Gray (to visit) Russia in 1989 and (not to be) here since that time. 5. When the train (to stop), I (to look) out of the window but (not to see) any of my friends there. I (to send) them a telegram and hoped that they (to meet) me. As I (to discover) later, they (to receive) it ten minutes before the train arrived and could not meet me. 6. We were greatly surprised not to find Ann at home. It turned out that her sister (to forget) to give her our message, and Ann (to leave) the house fifteen minutes before we (to come). 7. I decided not to put on my raincoat as it (to stop) raining already and the sun (to shine) brightly. 8. The young people entered the theatre. The performance already (to begin), and they (to have) to wait till the first act (to be) over. Nina never (to be) here before and she (to like) the theatre very much. 9. I did not recognize Helen as I (not to see) her for a very long time and she greatly (to change). 10. The sight of the school building brought back the old days to us. Here we (to spend) many years together. We (to learn) to read and write; here we (to experience) our first joys and sorrows. We recollected our first day at school, how we (to come) to our first lesson looking alarmed and excited. 11. When the teacher told the boy to recite the poem, the boy (to burst) into tears: he (not to remember) anything, though he (to try) to learn his lesson so hard. 12. Jane usually works in the library. She (to work) there now. She already (to gather) the necessary material and now she (to write) her report.