Примерный план и образец сообщения о себе и научной работе на английском языке:
First, let me introduce myself.
My name is… (e.g. Ivanov Victor Ivanovich)
I am a post graduate student (doctoral student) at the department of …
My scientific advisor is Prof….
To begin withI’d like to give you a brief description of my background, that is my previous studies and work.
I graduated from ... University in …...
I received my diploma in Civil Engineering /Environmental Engineering/ / Economics… ) at the department of …
My specialization was…
My course work was dedicated to…
I had a period of practical training in (the field of ) at ….
During my final year at university I did my graduation paper in the area of ….
It was entitled…
It was a very interesting topic for me to investigate because…
After graduation I started my full time (part-time) work as a faculty member (teaching assistant/instructor/assistant professor/laboratory assistant/programmer) at ..
Last year I applied for a job as a ….. at …
I was offered a position of … at the department of (laboratory of / firm called “…”)
I decided to combine my work and research in … and was supported by …
The topic/theme I have chosen is “ …”
My scientific advisor suggested the study of …
My interest was motivated by ….
Prof. N … advised/prompted me studying ….
The topic of my thesis is “ ….. ”
It deals with exploration (investigation/analysis/development/integration) of …
The subject of my research is …
Let me now go into some detail regarding my research guided by the subjectI have mentioned.
I began with the study of literature on the subject including some basic works written by… These problems … are widely discussed (treated) in literature.
There are many papers reviewing the state of the art of…
There are many articles in scientific journals and special periodicals such as … in particular.
These problems are widely discussed in the works by a
number of prominent scientists (scholars) such as….
In recent years the issues involving … have received considerable attention of … in ..
The theory of ….. was constructed and developed by ….
The object of my researchis the operation (behaviour/ processes) of ….
The immediate aim (goal/objective) is to examine the function (behaviour/dynamics ) of …
A current study in our laboratory is addressing the question of …. The focus of my research is on the relationship between …. and … .
It is very important and interesting to examine (analyze/ evaluate/ describe) the complex interaction between … and …. .
This is one of the points that strongly motivate my work dedicated to… .
Typically, we assume that the object (group/value/characteristic/parameter) in question is …
Another aspect of the interaction is ….
For example, if we take … then …
We may therefore assume that …
Similarly, if one takes X to be …. then …. is related to ….
One may ask the question as to the nature of ….
A very interesting question which I am actively pursuing is…..
I am interested to know…
In our joint work with…. I explore (test/ examine) …...
To this end, we study .,...
The methods and techniques we applyin this research include experiments (observations, laboratory tests, field and pilot plant study ….)
The experimental part of my researchwill mostly consist of tests to be conducted on …
It is therefore quite encouraging that these methods may be used to solve a number of problems in this instance and get an insight in …
Some of most recent results of the research in … make use of the …. and the theory of….
The results may be constructed into a theoretic framework that I am going to describe by systemizing the data obtained in the experiments (observations).
As to the practical output of my study, I think they will be of considerable practical
significance, because …
The list of my published papers includes ….
Some of the general issues that I studied last year include: first, … second, … and third…
I remain actively involved in several other projects.
I have analysed the …. of this …. and tried to show that there are ….
It is becoming clear that …. plays a crucial role in the operation of ….
In my paper I will try to give a simple description/definition of ….
That makes it possible to calculate (identify/establish/develop)… with the help of …
Since … is a …. , these results may be applied to solving a wide range of problems in …
We may hope that the results of our study will be of practical significance because …
It may have good potential to improve (enhance/ alleviate the problem /eliminate the need for/ increase)…
My research work
I am an engineer. My special subject is ... I combine practical work with scientific research. I am doing research in ... This branch of knowledge has been rapidly developing in the last two decades. The obtained results have already found wide application in most varied spheres of the country's national economy.
I am particularly interested in ... which includes ... I have been working on the problem for... years. I got interested in it when I was a student. My work is primarily of practical importance, it is based on the theory developed by the collaborators of our department. So I can say that I work in close cooperation with my colleagues. We also closely collaborate with several enterprises of our country. There are several research teams at our department. The team I work in is headed by Doctor of Technical sciences ... He is my scientific adviser. I always consult him when I encounter difficulties in my research. We often discuss the obtained data.
As I am rather an experementator than a theoretician I make use of different equipment .... The obtained data enabled me to define more precisely the theoretical model of .... I have not yet completed the experimental part of my thesis, but I am through with the theoretical part. For the moment I have ... scientific papers, some of which were published when I was a student. Two of them were published in the journals of … and ...
I take part in various scientific conferences where I make reports on my subject, I willingly participate in scientific discussions and debates. I am planning to finish writing the thesis by the end of the next year. I hope to get the scientific degree of a Candidate of Technical sciences.
Вопросы к устной части кандидатского экзамена
1. What is the field of your research?
2. Is there much or little material published on the subject of your research?
3. What is the subject of your thesis?
4. What do you base your research on?
5. Why have you chosen this subject of research?
6. What problems are you going to touch on in your thesis?
7. Is your research theoretical or practical?
8. Do you know any of Russian or foreign scientists working on the same problem?
9. Could you tell us whether the approach of foreign scientists towards this particular problem differs?
10. Are you concerned with the local or national problems?
11. Who of Russian or foreign scientists made contribution to the field of your research?
12. What research methods are you going to use while writing your thesis?
13. In what area / field do you think your results and your obtained data could be used?
14. What is the aim of your thesis?
15. What criteria should any thesis meet?
16. How will your thesis be structured?
17. What are the steps in the procedure for writing a thesis?
18. Have you got any published articles?
19. When and where did you publish your papers?
20. What is the title of your published paper?
21. Where can you publish your papers?
22. What are the requirements for publishing articles in Russian and foreign journals?
23. What’s the purpose of organizing the scientific conferences?
24. Have you ever participated in scientific conferences?
25. How much time is usually given to each speaker for presenting a paper? Why the amount of the time is so small?
26. How many papers are presented in one session?
27. How did you prepare for the conference?
28. What questions were asked during the discussion of your paper?
29. How do you think a post-graduate should work to cope with exams and thesis in three years?
30. What qualities should a post-graduate possess?
31. Why do some post-graduates have to work during their course?
32. What can hinder your work on your thesis?
33. What do you think leads a post-graduate to success?
34. What motivates and stimulates the progress of one’s research?
35. What role do you think talent and diligence play in research?
36. What is required to attain a Candidate’s degree?
37. How do you react when you receive a compliment on your achievements?
38. How do you react when someone criticizes you?
39. What are you strengths and weaknesses?
40. What are your plans for the near future?
41. Who is your supervisor?
42. How often do you meet your supervisor?
43. What do you discuss when you meet?
44. Could you specify on the assistance of your supervisor?
45. What is an “ideal supervisor” in your opinion?
46. What’s your opinion of the special book you’ve read?
47. What are the main problems considered in the book?
48. Have you got any useful information for your research?
49. What kind of difficulties did you face while reading the book (terms, grammar, sentence structures)?
50. What’s the use of learning English for a researcher?
51. Is the ability to communicate as important for a researcher as the ability to translate special texts?
52. Would you be able to understand native speakers if you happen to participate in the scientific conference in Britain?
53. Would you be able to find the way to your hotel in the English-speaking country?
54. Would you be able to explain a foreigner how to get somewhere?
ЛИТЕРАТУРА ДЛЯ ПОДГОТОВКИ К СДАЧЕ КАНДИДАТСКОГО МИНИМУМА ПО ИНОСТРАННОМУ ЯЗЫКУ
1. Гавриленко Н. Н. Обучение переводу в сфере профессиональной коммуникации: монография. - М. : РУДН, 2008. - ISBN 978-5-209-02918-2.
2. Калинина В. Д. Теория и практика перевода: курс лекций: учеб. пособие. - М. : Изд-во Российского ун-та дружбы народов, 2008. - ISBN 978-5-209-02781-2.
4. Романова С.П., Коралова А.Л.Пособие по переводу с английского на русский. Издательство: КД Университет (КДУ), 2011. - ISBN: 978-5-98227-286-7.
5. Рубцова М.Г. Учимся переводить с английского языка на русский- М.: АСТ: Астрель, 2011. ISBN: 978-5-17-072135-1
1. Английский язык для горных инженеров: учеб.пособие/ Л.В. Макар; Санкт-Петербургский государственный горный институт (технический университет). - СПб, 2007.
2. Английский язык. Читаем и переводим научно-техническую литературу: Материалы и методические указания для подготовки к практическим занятиям/Санкт-Петербургский государственный горный институт (технический университет). Сост.: М.А. Перфилова, И.С.Рогова. - СПб, 2011. 50 шт.
4. Михеев А.И., Гринько А.В.Вклад ученых России в развитие горногодела.Санкт-Петербургский государственный горный институт им. Г.В. Плеханова. СПб, 2010. 57 шт.
5. Профессионально ориентированный английский язык. Традиции и инновации в горной промышленности: Материалы и методические указания к самостоятельным занятиям /Санкт-Петербургский государственный горный институт (технический университет). Сост.: П.А. Васильева, Ю.Е. Мурзо, И.Г.Герасимова, С.А. Свешникова. - СПб, 2009. 40 шт.
6. Сафроненко О.И. Английский язык для магистров и аспирантов естественных факультетов университетов. - М.: Высшая школа, 2007.
7. Чтение и перевод специализированных текстов на английском языке: Учеб.пособие/ П.В. Борисова, Н.Н. Апухтина, А.И Михеев, Г.Е. Мильберт; Санкт-Петербургский государственный горный институт (технический университет). - СПб, 2007. 20 шт.
8. Cambridge English for Scientists: Book + Audio CD. - Cambridge University Press., 2011. - ISBN978052115409. (+ электронная версия)
9. Learn to Read Science. Курс английского языка для аспирантов: Учеб. пособие / Руков. Н.И. Шахова. - М.: Флинта: Наука, 2005.
10.Macmillan Guide to Science: Students book / E.Kozharskaya и др. - Oxford : Macmillan, 2008. + Audio CDs. - ISBN 9780230715455. (+ электронная версия).